Dr. Nita Sahai
Ohio Research Scholar in Biomaterials
Department of Polymer Science, Department of Geology, Integrated Bioscience Program
The University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-3909
Phone: (330) 972-4795
Fax: (330) 972-5290
Physical-chemical aspects of cellular and biomolecular interactions at mineral surfaces in processes relevant to (a) pre-biotic non-enzymatic polymerization of RNA and peptides in the origins and early evolution of life; and (b) biomineralization.
- 1997 – Ph. D., Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. Advisor: Prof. Dimitri Sverjensky.
Solvation and Electrostatic Model for Specific Electrolyte Adsorption.
- 1992 – M. S., Geochemistry, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. Calibrating the Cosmogenic 21Ne Clock.
- 1990 – B.Sc., 1st rank in graduating class, Geology Honors, St. Xavier’s College, Bombay University, India.
Academic Awards and Honors
- 2013-2014 – Distinguished Lecturer of the Mineralogical Society of America.
- 2011-present – Ohio Research Scholar in Biomaterials Chair, The University of Akron (UA), OH.
- 2009 – Fellow of the Mineralogical Society of America: Recognition of significant scientific contributions in the fields of crystallography, mineralogy, geochemistry and petrology.
- 2009 – Romnes Faculty Fellowship, University of Wisconsin – Madison (UW): Recognition of quality, significance and productivity of research, and quality and programmatic value of teaching and service.
- 2008 – Visiting Professor Fellowship (3 weeks), Université Joseph Fourrier (University of Grenoble), France.
- 2004 – NSF CAREER Award.
- 1998-2000 – NSF Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
- 1990 – 1st Rank in Graduating Class, Bombay University. Appointed to Student Council, Bombay University, India.
- 1987-1990 – 1st Ranked Student in Chemistry, Geology, Physics, French. St. Xavier’s College, Bombay University, India.